Please note that I am presently away from the office on leave. If your matter is urgent please contact Julie Dicaire at 613-238-6321, who may direct you to the professional with carriage of the matter in my absence.
Sean’s practice includes municipal liability, motor vehicle liability, property and casualty, product liability, fire loss and fraud, professional negligence, bodily injury, and coverage.
Sean volunteers as a legal advisor and as motions court and trial counsel at the Ottawa office of Law Help Ontario, Pro Bono Law Ontario. He has been invited to speak at several legal continuing education conferences and he regularly provides seminars to clients on practice-related issues.
Sean has appeared in the Ontario Superior Court, the Divisional Court, and the Court of Appeal for Ontario, along with several administrative panels and tribunals. Sean’s trial and motion judgments include:
- Whether the Divisional Court has jurisdiction to hear an appeal of a refusal to order a stay of judgment, notwithstanding concurrent final/interlocutory orders:
Man-Shield (NWO) Construction Inc. v. AGC Flat Glass North America Ltd., 2019 ONSC 3993
- Defence of a party sued for property damage in the amount of $250,000.00. Trial Court awarded damages of just $7,000.00:
Armstrong v. Moore, 2018 ONSC 7056
- Whether an After the Event costs insurance policy is sufficient to displace an order for security for costs:
Frantz v. NB Thrilling Films 4 INC. et al., 2017 ONSC 4637
- Whether costs are payable by parties to a co-defendant released from an action after examinations for discovery:
Parris v. Wylie, 2016 ONSC 4778
- Leave to appeal granted on question of what level of specificity is required in the pleadings to maintain a claim against an officer, director or employee in their personal capacity:
Largess v. Word of Life Church (2016), 130 O.R. (3d) 154, 2016 ONSC 1440
- Whether a municipality may rely on the intention of the parties as expressed in a full and final release as a complete bar to a subsequent action:
Rebel v The Township of Stone Mills, 2015 ONSC 5703
- Whether a defendant is entitled to the full or partial contents of a plaintiff’s prior representative’s file to ascertain what advice was given in relation to a limitation period:
Labelle v Brand, 2015 ONSC 5573
- Whether a duty to defend under a Commercial General Liability policy exists in the context of a shooting despite a policy exclusion for bodily injury caused by the use of a gun:
Kinkade v. 947014 Ontario Inc, (2014), 119 O.R. (3d) 536, 2014 ONSC 1599
- Whether an out of province resident should pay security for costs of an action, and if so how much:
Goldwater-Adler v. Masucol, 2014 ONSC 6349
- Whether a party has status to bring an action for breach of contract in respect of voluntary payments advanced in a personal injury matter:
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company v. Mawere (2012), 110 O.R. (3d) 693, 2012 ONSC 3299