Michael’s clients value his consistent, calm and even handed demeanour during the buildup to closing and know that his sole focus is on completing the deal to their satisfaction.
Michael has quickly developed a reputation as a ‘go to’ lawyer in Ottawa for M&A and corporate finance transactions. Since being called to the Bar in 2011, he has acted on more than 50 significant deals including many complex, high value and cross-border transactions. Whether it is his small-town charm or natural curiosity and interest in people, Michael has an innate ability to connect with clients across generations and sectors. He genuinely enjoys the close working relationship that is formed with clients while working on transactions. His clients value his consistent, calm and even handed demeanour during the buildup to closing and know that his sole focus is on completing the deal to their satisfaction.
Michael also has extensive knowledge and understanding of Not-For-Profit board governance and he advises many provincial and federal Not-For-Profit organizations and charities on their reporting requirements, annual meeting procedures, and the drafting of their by-laws.
Michael received his law degree from the University of Ottawa in 2010 and an Honours Degree in Social Sciences from the University of Ottawa in 2004. Michael grew up in the small town of Madoc, ON and is proud to have settled within another small community with the Ottawa area, Dunrobin.
Recent Work Highlights
- Advised WorkDynamics Technologies Inc. on its acquisition by Valsoft Corporation Inc.
- Advised Assent Compliance when the global supply chain compliance software company raised $350M USD from Vista Equity Partners out of Austin, Texas.
- Advised Ottawa-based Vocantas Inc. and Pronexus Inc. on their acquisition by Valsoft Corporation Inc. of Montreal.
- Advises ShipTrack on its Aquisition by Descartes Systems Group
- Advised Pembroke MDF Inc. on its cross-border sale to Roseburg Forest Products.
- Advised Ottawa technology company Assent Compliance on their $40M equity investment.
- Advised Kuatro Technologies on its recent acquisition by the Florida-based technology company Jabil.
- Advised Embotics Corporation on the $12.1M equity investment by Arrowroot Capital.
- Advised PiiComm on its acquisition of Sibyl Groupe Conseil, a Montreal-based IT services and software development firm.
- Advised founders Tony Greco, Paolo Fiorin and the Greco Fitness company on its recent investment deal with New York-based investment firm Integrity Square.
- Advised Ottawa-based AirVM Inc. (“AirVM”) on the sale of its hosting business to TeraGo Networks Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of TeraGo Inc. (TSX: TGO).
- Acted for Assent Compliance on its recent $20M venture capital funding.
- Advised Ottawa-based Kuatro Technologies Inc. on its recent acquisition of a Tier 1 OEM Engineering and Development Centre located in Virginia.
- Advised AirVM on its recent $8M Series A funding from RHO Canada, Build Ventures and Wesley Clover.
- Advised BDC Capital and Mistral Venture Partners on their investment in the $12.5M Series D financing of CENX.
- Acted for Ottawa-based Cloudlink on its sale to US based EMC Corporation.
- Advised material science innovators Smarter Alloys (Innovative Processing Technologies Inc.) on an equity financing worth $1.5M
- Acted for ASE Smart Energy Inc. with regards to $645,0000 including an equity subscription for $300,000 and a Convertible Debenture in favour of the Centre for Excellence in Energy Efficiency for $345,000.
- Advised cloud computing firm AFORE Solutions Inc. on its recent $6M funding round with the BDC Venture Capital IT Fund.
- Represented Discovery Air Inc. on its new $25M loan facility with CIBC.
- Acted for Great Slave Lake Ltd on the financing and acquisition of Northern Air Support, a helicopter charter company with operations in British Columbia and Alberta.