Commercial Real Estate & Development
We have experience acting for small and large developers, investors and lenders on a diverse range of projects including condominiums and residential developments, and office, industrial, and retail space. With our deep local knowledge and industry network, we can provide you with the resources you need to make your next commercial real estate move a success.
Commercial Real Estate
Our commercial real estate team has been actively helping clients build and maximize the returns from their property portfolio for over 30 years. With our deep local knowledge and industry network, we can provide you with the resources you need to make your next commercial real estate move a success.
- Commercial property purchases and sales
- Real estate finance
- Security on real estate
- Commercial leasing
- Joint ventures
- Landlord & tenant
- Commercial property management
- Condominium and co-op development and operation
- Property tax assessments
- Building permits and building code compliance
- Conversion of rental buildings, co-tenancies and co-operatives to other forms of property ownership
- Enforcement of by-laws and property standard
Construction & Development
Our real estate team offers you a depth of experience in, and knowledge of, the Ontario construction and development market. Our experience over the past 30 years has included acting for small and large developers on a diverse range of developments including condominiums, residential developments, and office, industrial and retail space.
Specific construction and development services available include:
- Environmental issues related to real property
- Mixed use development
- Property development and management
- Municipal planning and land use
- Official plan amendments
- Subdivision plans, severances and part lot control exemptions
- Site plan and development approvals
- Zoning and other municipal by-law issues
If you are looking for experienced help on your next development, we’d be happy to help make it happen.
If a dispute arises, our construction litigation’s broad experience in the industry allows us to vigorously defend our clients’ interests.
Commecial Real Estate & Construction - Work Highlights
- Acted for a select group of developers for many years on all aspects of residential and commercial developments including reviewing all agreements with the City of Ottawa including sub-divisions, site plan agreements, covenant agreements, municipal and utility easement agreements.
- Advised developers on condominium projects in Ottawa and assisted on all aspects of the developments including the covenant agreements, maintenance and liability agreements, noise study covenant and private road agreements, the municipal condominium agreement and site plan agreements.
- Acted for a national service station company on its fuel services agreements with prime bidders for the Ontario Ministry of Transportation request for proposals for the Highway Services Centres Project.
- Acted for the lending institution on the financing of a power plant construction project.
- Advised the developers on a 3P project agreement with a municipality for the design, construction, management and operation of an exposition hall.
- Acted for one of the private partners on the negotiation and drafting of agreements relating to the development of a major legacy office, recreational and residential development in Ottawa.
- Acted for the vendors on the sale of a prime downtown heritage mixed retail/commercial development.
- Acted for the franchisee/operator on the acquisition, design, construction and financing of a new 68 room hotel in Ottawa Valley.
- Acted on the acquisition of a parcel of land in the Kemptville Business Park and the construction of a new office facility.
- Acted for the vendors on the sales of various parcels of commercial lands to major grocery chains.
- Acted on development, acquisition, financing and management for the development of Petawawa Town Centre to support the expansion of the region’s military base.
- Acted for the purchaser on the acquisition and financing of 11 acres of land in the Ottawa Valley for the development of mixed use residential and condominiums.
- Acted for the purchaser on the acquisition and financing of a golf course in Dunrobin, Ontario.
Advised a residential property developer on the acquisition of a 77 unit condominium community.
Acted on behalf of the investors on the purchase of a multi-unit residential property.
Acted for a real estate investment company on the acquisition and financing of 260 unit apartment complex.
Acted for a retail developer on an assignment agreement with respect to the purchase of property for redevelopment.
Advised the original developer of Kanata Centrum on the development, financing, construction and leasing of the shopping centre.
Advised a real estate investment company on the acquisition, financing and development of a portfolio of large, multi-residence apartment towers in Ottawa.
Acted for a sports club with respect to a grant awarded to the club under the federal/ provincial Recreational Infrastructure Canada (RInC) Program for the design and construction of sports complexes on two school board owned sites, the ensuing license and operating agreements, planning approvals with the City of Ottawa, the request for proposals for the design and construction of the facilities and the project financing.
Acted for a sports management company with respect to the negotiation of a license and operating agreement for two Superdome Sports Centre, a public and private partnership for the operation of the recreation complexes.
Represented a residential developer on their bond placement with TARION.